Cyber Security Awareness Month
Cyber security is becoming increasingly very significant to the each passing day. The numbers of cyber security breaches have grown up immensely since the last one year. Increased reliance on the mobile devices and mobile platforms have further led to increased frequencies and instances of cyber security breaches. As such, globally, the focus on cyber security is being made by all stakeholders.
While it is correct that cyber security is very significant in our lives, the fact also remains that the awareness levels toward cyber security are relatively much lower in the context of various stakeholders.
One of the most effective ways to fight a problem is to first sensitize people about the said problem and then make people as catalysts of change in responding to the said problem or challenge. Cyber security is one of such field or discipline, on which similar strategy would need to be adopted.
No wonder across the world, efforts are being made by various state and non-state actors for the purposes of creating far more awareness about the issues and aspects pertaining to protection and preservation of cyber security.
The Department of Homeland Security, United States of America has dedicated the entire month of October 2015 as the National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM).
In addition, in Europe, the month of October has also been designated as the National Cyber Security Month.
Objectives of the National Cyber Security Month
The main objectives of the National Cyber Security Month in the US are as follows:
- Marking the fifth anniversary of the Stop.Think.Connect. Campaign, to focus on cybersecurity as a shared responsibility, and to provide simple online tips to empower all Americans to be safer online.
- To highlight the common threats, businesses and employees are exposed to and to provide resources for business and employees to stay safer online and to enhance their existing security plans.
- To emphasize the importance of protecting ourselves when connecting to the Internet while on the go.
- To provide best practices for using mobile devices and social media, and to encourage us all to become better digital citizens in our communities.
- To highlight the “smart world” we live in and the importance of educating all citizens on cybersecurity as more and more of the devices we use – from phones and tablets to homes and medical devices – become connected to the Internet.
- To propogate awareness about the future of the cybersecurity workforce, focusing on cybersecurity education and awareness in schools at all levels, and emphasizing the need for properly trained cybersecurity professionals.
In the European context we find that various European authorities being The European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA), the European Commission DG CONNECT and Partners have specified the following objectives pertaining to National Cyber Security Month:-
- To generate general awareness about cyber security, which is one of the priorities identified in the EU Cyber Security Strategy;
- To generate specific awareness on Network and Information Security (NIS), which is addressed in the proposed NIS Directive;
- To promote safer use of the Internet for all users;
- To build a strong track record to raise awareness through the ECSM;
- To involve relevant stakeholders;
- To increase national media interest through the European and global dimension of the project;
- To enhance attention and interest with regard to information security through political and media coordination.
As a consequence of the aforesaid declaration and the marking of the month of October 2015 as the National Cyber Security Month in US and the Europe, a large number of activities are being planned. These activities are aimed to enhance the knowledge and the capacity building capabilities of relevant stakeholders in the direction of protection and preservation of Cyber security.
We aim to collate some of the most significant events and happenings that are taking place in different parts of the world pertaining to celebration of the National Cyber Security Month.
We further aim to collate the said information and from them, extract major learnings, which all will go on to inform the evolving Cybersecurity Law jurisprudence.
These learnings thus become of universal significance and value. This is so because cyber security is a global, universal issue . Challenges and the learnings that are applicable in the context of US and Europe, would equally also apply to different parts of the world. All stakeholders have to quickly realize that they have to contribute in the cause of protection and preservation of cyber security.
Further, a large number of the developments are happening during the National Cyber Security Month , which will help in creating the right enabling environment for the further development and evolution of Cyber Security Law as an emerging legal discipline.UPDATES
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2015
- Week 1 of National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2015: Cybergy Holdings Reflections on 5 Years of Stop.Think.Connect™ Campaign
- The Threat Is Real: Stay Alert During National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month, Securing Cyberspace is a Shared Responsibility
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month Kicks Off As Growing Global Coalition Urges Internet Users Everywhere To STOP. THINK. CONNECT.
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month bolsters ways Army can 'Stay Protected While Connected'
- Scottrade Breach Hits 4.6 Million Customers
- Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee to Keynote Inaugural National Town Hall Meeting on Minority Underrepresentation in Cybersecurity to be Held During National Cybersecurity
- FBI sends reminders about computer security
- Cyber Security Month: How to protect yourself
- Banking Group Marks Cybersecurity Month by Disclosing a Hack
- A note on Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Cyber Security is A Shared Responsibility
- Crime Watch: Cyber Security Awareness Month spotlights the perils of computer crime
- Week 2 of National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2015: Cybergy Holdings Comments on “Creating a Culture of Cybersecurity at Work”
- Overnight Cybersecurity: Capitol Hill goes all in on cyber
- SEC Steps Up Cybersecurity Enforcement
- Cyber Security Month: How to protect yourself
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month Puts Staffing 360 Solutions in Focus