Talwant Singh, District & Sessions Judge, Delhi (India)
Experience : 1. Practiced as an Advocate from Oct. 1986 to April, 2000.
2. Addl. District & Sessions Judge from May, 2000 to Nov. 2014.
3. District & Sessions Judge, Delhi from December, 2014.
- Actively involved in the execution of following projects:
- As Member-Judicial of E-Committee, conceptualizing, guiding and monitoring various components of the e-Courts Project of computerization of 14,249 Courts in India along-with training of about 15,000 Judicial Officers and 60,000 Court Staff.
- As Chairman of District Courts Website Committee & member of Central Computer Committee, undertook computerization of about 300 Courts in Delhi District in record time of 2 years and trained the Ld. Judges and about 6,000 staff members.
- As member of Software Development Team, involved in development, testing and implementation of District Courts Management Information System (DC-MIS) in collaboration with NIC, Ministry of IT, Government of India.
- Nodal Officer of India's First Paperless E-Court in Delhi, operational since Feb. 2010.
- Digitization Project of about 15 Million pages of District Court Records.
- Trusted Digital Repository for Court Records Project by C-DAC, NOIDA.
- Developed & launched about one dozen Court Websites for Delhi Courts.
2. Delivered Lectures on Use of ICT in Courts and Cyber Law at:
- National Judicial Academy at Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Data Security Council of India Workshops for Law Enforcement Officials.
- NASSCOM Seminars on Cyber Security.
- CBI Academy, Ghaziabad.
- Judges Conference at Entebbe, Uganda
- Computer Society of India Seminars.
- 8. Cyber Society of India's Workshops.
- 9. Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management, Gwalior.
- Western Command, Indian Navy, Mumbai on Cyber Crime & Precautions.
3. Participation in Conferences & Workshops:
- ICT in Delhi District Courts in Law via the Internet Conference at Port Vila, Vanuatu (South Pacific) in November, 2005.
- Presented Paper on Computerization of District Courts in Conflux-2005 Conference in Delhi.
- Panelist in DQ e-Gov Summit ’06 where National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) was finalized.
- Participated as Technical Expert in All Africa Conference of Judges at Arusha, Tanzania and presented a paper on the theme of Use of ICT in Commercial Courts in 2007.
- Presented Paper on Medico-Legal Informatics at All India Forensic Conference at Amritsar, Punjab in March, 2007.
- Presented a paper on Judicial E-Libraries at Annual Conference of International Association of Law Libraries held at Mumbai in Dec. 2007.
- Presented a paper on Cyber Law & Justice in Conference of SAARC Countries in New Delhi organized by IIT Allahabad in May,2008.
- Presented a paper on Cyber Security in Bangalore Cyber Security Summit in October, 2009.
- Made presentation on ICT Enabled Judiciary in CSI Conference in Delhi in Jan., 2010.
- Delivered Lecture on Legal Issues in Cyber Warfare in seminar in New Delhi- Aug., 2011.
- Delivered lecture on Electronic Evidence in Annual Meet of CSI, New Delhi in Dec.2011.
- Made presentation on Appreciation of Digital Evidence in CBI Training Academy in 2012.
- Made presentation on Safe Harbour for Mobile Service Providers in India in International Conference on Mobile Law at New Delhi in March, 2012.
- Presentation on Jurisdictional & Legal Issues in Combating Cyber Crimes in the workshop organized by Cyber Society of India, Chennai in June, 2013.
- Presentation of Appreciation of Digital Evidence in Sri Lankan Law at CBI Academy in 2014.
- Presentation on Cyber Crime & Precautions at Western Command, Indian Navy, Mumbai in 2015.
4. Countries visited to study use of Information Technology in Courts:
- United Kingdom
5. Books & Articles Published:
- District Courts Case Management Manual for Judges.
- District Courts User’s Manual for Lawyers & Litigants.
- Article on ICT in Delhi District Courts published in a book on Electronic Judicial Resource Management published by Macmillan India.
- Article on Cyber Law & Information Technology published in E-Journal of Delhi Courts
- India Chapter of World Cybercrime & Security Treatise published by Thomson Reuters.
- Paper on E-Courts: The Road to Justice published in ICT for Africa-2012.
- Article on Cyber War: The Next Threat to National Security.
- Article on E-Justice: The Road Map.
- Article on Recent Trends in Use of ICT in Courts.
- Article on Change Management in Judiciary.
6. Life Memberships:
- Indian Law Institute, New Delhi
- Institute of Constitutional & Parliamentary Studies, New Delhi
- The Cyber Society of India, Chennai.
- The Internet Society (ISOC).
- 5. The Computer Society of India.